Information for Students & Parents
Examinations can be a stressful time for all of the family, not just the student actually taking the examination. Throughout the year students will be supported with dealing with examination stress and anxiety by their teachers, learning mangers and the entire pastoral team. We will also host several information evenings throughout the year to fully keep parents informed and up to date with challenges facing their child. As is the norm at Oulton academy, we operate an open door policy for parents, if you have any concerns, please phone/ visit the academy and we will be happy to discuss your concerns.
Updates and advice regarding exams can be found in our Letters home section.
In this section you will find all of the official information from JCQ that is given to students every year.
We ask parents to support us and ensure that you:
- Ensure that your child attends school regularly and on time.
- Talk to your child about their learning, work they have to do and deadlines.
- Contact your child's Learning Manager if you have any questions or concerns about your child.
- Attend Parents' Evenings.
- Check your child's revision timetable for mock exams.
- Check your child's examination timetable and ensure they understand when their exam is taking place. If an exam is missed your child will not be awarded any marks for that exam.
- Read your child's copy of the Summer Examination Timetable.
- Attend all meetings and workshops organised for parents to assist their children with GCSE work.
Students will have many deadlines to meet during this year. You can help your child by:
- Encouraging them to attend enrichment, half-term and Easter revision classes.
- Encouraging them to use the numerous websites available to support their revision.
- Provide them with a quiet place to study.
- Make sure they take regular breaks.
- Ensure that they eat healthy food and drink plenty of water.
- Ensure that they go to bed at a reasonable time and get enough sleep.
- Ensure that they revise thoroughly for both the mock and final examinations.
- you can contact your child's Learning Manager if you wish to discuss any GCSE related issues.
Certificates from previous years: In accordance with the JCQ regulations certificates from previous years are not held for longer than 12 months after they are awarded. If you have lost, misplaced or did not collect certificates then you must approach the individual awarding bodies for replacements. We cannot do this for you, it is on an individual basis.